Sunday, August 27, 2006

Better luck on the mushroom front!

What a difference a few days can make. A local foray produced a basket full of lovely bay boletes, a large orange birch bolete and lots of oyster mushrooms. Some of the bays went towards a pasta sauce, and the rest went into the dehydrator along with the birch bolete. I dried some strawberries and mango earlier in the week, and experimented with some blueberries and blackberries - I'm not too confident about the chances of success for these. Some blackberries and more apples went towards some fruit crumbles for the freezer, and today was spent slaving over a hot preserving pan using some of our glut of plums to make a plum sauce, which is delicious. HP eat your heart out. I just hope it keeps.

Last week, I went for a walk with my mother. She told me about a man who kept going into the nature reserve office to ask about the bench he had ordered in memory of his wife. On our walk we saw what was clearly a newly installed bench. The inscription told us that the lady in question was now at peace with beloved dog; Sam. I don't mind if no one bothers to erect a bench to my memory, but if they do, please do not let me go to my final rest badly punctuated!

I shall be off for a bit of culture in Amsterdam next week, as well as a sentimental journey to Groningen where I spent a very happy year in the 70's. After that, it's back to work, so anyone reading this can expect my blog to take a decidedly odd turn. You will read "sentences you thought you would never hear", and other musings from a motley assortment of people who ought to know better.

No comments: